Washington couple celebrate £2.4m lottery win

PENSIONER Doreen Smith found 2.4 million reasons to celebrate her birthday.
The great-grandmother of five and her husband Fred discovered they had won a share of the National Lottery jackpot in the early hours of Sunday – just as she turned 71.

And despite suffering from mobility problems due to two hip and one knee replacements Mrs Smith managed to dance with joy upon seeing the six numbers on the couple’s ticket were an exact match for the numbers which had been drawn just hours earlier as part of Saturday’s main Lotto.

The lottery win topped off a weekend of celebration as one of the couple’s grandsons, who they have decided not to name, was married on the Saturday.

Mrs Smith, who is actually called Elizabeth but prefers to go by her middle name, said: “The win was a third reason to celebrate. We had been out on Saturday at the wedding, it was my birthday and then we won the lottery.”

The couple, from Washington, have played the same numbers since the lottery started in 1994. Mr Smith, 71, said: “The numbers are all birthdays of family members. I’ll still keeping putting them on despite us winning. Imagine if they came out again and we didn’t have a ticket. I’d kick myself.”

The couple went public with their win yesterday at Lumley Castle in Chester-le-Street surrounded by close family. Mr Smith, who spent most of his working life in the Royal and Merchant Navy, recounted the moment he realised he had scooped a share of the £7,216,305 jackpot.

He said: “I put the Teletext on and started to check the numbers.
“I thought I had won a tenner at first then realised I had more than three numbers. We had been to the wedding and I was a little bit tipsy. I couldn’t quite get the 49 in focus so I asked my son, who was staying with us, to check. It was then he told me we had all six numbers.”

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2011/07/14/washington-couple-celebrate-2-4m-lottery-win-61634-29049762/#ixzz1S64xlEjr

Creative Commons
Your eleven Lucky Lottery Number Generators are here: LuckyNumbers 4U.

Popular posts from this blog

The Crystal Ball and your Lucky Lottery Numbers !

Birthday Calculator with your Lucky Lottery Numbers?

Lottery Wheeling Systems...